Blog 8: Final Reflection


Because of this trip I have learned so much about myself and the world we live in. Diving into the social issues the Ireland is facing allowed me to look at issues within the American context with a different perspective. For example, there is a large population of people have or are currently seeking asylum in Ireland. Learning about the statistics and processes that these individuals and families have to go through made me want to do more research about the policies in America. I also noticed that the people we talked to about immigration issues in particular had a sense of responsibility when it came to acknowledging the faults within their system, this is something that I haven’t really seen in America (in regards to larger society).

If my time in Ireland taught me anything, it’s that I am an artist. I grown so much in the past three weeks, I almost don’t recognize myself. Collaborating with the class and our host city community has been one of my greatest privileges. I have learned how to best practice writing (hint: it’s free writing), I have learned how important my voice is, I have learned how integral art can be for a movement or issue, I have learned how to use my art to spread a message. I have have learned so much. 

Some things that I am taking back with me from the “Rebel City” are as follows:

     "Hesitation is weakness" (especially while jaywalking)

     Kindness (genuine, sincere kindness) is contagious

     It’s always a nice day for a walk

     Sharing your art is necessary (whether it’s in a formal venue or busking on the street)


As an artist, your most important job is to make others feel and understand. Arts as resistance offers communities the opportunity to do both of these things while also learning about something you find important. This balance of learning and feeling through art, accompanied by the act of sharing the art creates a community. Once a community is established and there is trust, dialogue happens. We as artists, have this incredible power and responsibility to start dialogues. To intrigue a person to not only listen to what we have to say, but to form their own opinion of it as well. This dialogue, this open connection of shared feelings and experiences creates a sense of fulfilment because it makes everyone feel as if they are heard and understood.

#janterm180cork #rebelartistsinarebelcity #byeireland

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Story... My Life in Pictures

Blog 7: Showcase Reflection

Artists and Activists: One in the Same (Part 2)