Blog 4: Arts Administration as Resistance



If you had asked me a month ago what arts administration was, I would have shrugged my shoulders and said I didn’t know. However, after spending a month not only practicing various types of arts, but working within the various nooks and crannies of the art world, I not only know what it is but how important it is to artists and non artists alike.

(Arts administration is business aspect of an art organization, by the way).

Arts administration is just as important to a resistance movement as the product of art itself. Without the administration, access and attention toward art would be harder to get. With art, you are responding directly to a movement, with arts administration, you are facilitating the opportunity for such art to be received. After hearing Paul Casey talk about his work with O Bheal, I am left feeling interested and excited about the possibility of working in arts administration. There is something intriguing about not only being surrounded by art in its various forms, but also contributing to the creation of a space where that is possible. I have been involved event coordinating in the past and while it was stressful and challenging at times, there was a type of adrenaline rush in getting everything planned out. Working with people who have different strengths than I do is always beneficial and I think that arts administration is a great way to continue my communication skills.

As an artist, it is important to learn about arts administration because there are countless opportunities to come from it. You can network and build relationships with other artists involved, you can partner with an organization and spread your art to a wider community, or you can teach your art through the organization. Art itself is a device that can be used to start so many conversations and knowing someone whose passion in life is to create spaces for those conversations to happen is a beautiful partnership. During my time here in Ireland I have learned so much about arts administration. Specifically with our partnership with O Bheal, I have been introduced to so many amazing people who are doing amazing work. I have also been introduced to different forms of art that I never would have come in contact with. My sense of community (and therefore my perception of who my audience is) has shifted from a few friends to people I have never met before. Understanding that art is so much bigger than me, has given me the courage to test my comfort zones and try things I may never have tried before. I feel so much more comfortable stepping into my role as an artist of resistance knowing that there is a community of people willing to listen.







Learn more about O Bheal and all they do here: www.obheal.ie

#janterm180cork #rebelartistsintherebelcity #cork #artsasresistance #obheal

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Story... My Life in Pictures

Blog 7: Showcase Reflection

Artists and Activists: One in the Same (Part 2)