Blog 5: Unfinished Book of Poetry Workshop Reflection



For our partnership with O Bheal I was a part of the group that led a poetry workshop with high school students (Group 4). Leading up to the workshop was a lot of collaboration and planning to make sure that we had a schedule that was both exciting and interactive. Collaborating with three of my classmates and Dr. Leon was fun. We each brought a level of excitement and creativity that made me feel comfortable stepping into the classroom. When the day came for the workshop, I felt a little nervous. I work with preschoolers part time back in the states, so the idea of facilitating a workshop with high school students was quite daunting. However, all the nerves went away after introductions. The energy room was great, fueled by the laughter and enthusiasm of the girls, I immediately felt relaxed and ready to engage with them.

The activities I was responsible for were Myth Poetry and Spoken Word. The myth poetry was centered around myths and was co-facilitated by Rachel and me. It was interesting to see where each group pulled their inspiration from, whether it was something they all had in common, like mismatched socks or a severed Santa head on a spike, or something that they had heard and wanted to share with the group, like 1 in 4 babies born is the devil incarnate (still a little worried about this one). Walking around I heard everyone contributing and the level of energy and excitement rose as the stories came together. The spoken word activity was a cut short due to a lack of time. However, we were able to show the video before school was dismissed for the day. I suggested showing Sarah Kay’s “Point B” because it was the first spoken word I had ever encountered and was the catalyst for me to give writing a try. It is also beautifully written and delivered. I was so excited that the girls received the video well and were able to pick up on certain aspects of the piece (her sarcasm, inflections, pace).

My favorite part of the day was just hearing the different works that were produced. For example, in the Exquisite Corpse activity, there was a poem about about the sky crumbling down that was so moving and visual (and I am upset that I didn’t get a picture of it). A particular student that stood out to me was Molly. Although she was volunteered by her friends to share every single time, she always stepped up with courage and vulnerability to share what she created. Her poem responding to Nas’ “I Can” was so thoughtful (and can be found below).

All in all, the workshop was not only a success it was a moment of challenge and growth for me. As an artist, it taught me how important it is to share our work; to share the knowledge we possess, the processes we go through, and the things that inspire us. It also made me excited for the future and eager to find my place in the world of arts administration.


 "Stereotypes" by Molly (in response to "I Can")

"Why Won't Sonic Love Me?" by Molly (Exquisite Corpse final)


Watch Sarah Kay's "B" here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eq-3oywyAA

#janterm180cork #rebelartistsintherebelcity #unfinishedbookofpoetry

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Digital Story... My Life in Pictures

Blog 7: Showcase Reflection

Artists and Activists: One in the Same (Part 2)